Thunder Fall to Condors 6-3

Saturday, 11.30.13 / 10:10 PM
By admin

The Condors came out quick on their Teddy Bear Toss night and continued to pester Stockton as they would defeat the Thunder 6-3.

It was a wild first period as the Condors got a quick goal just 33 seconds into the game as Kale Kessey was able to get a puck past Brian Foster to set the crowd into pandemonium and the bears tumbling to the ice.

After a 15 minute delay cleaning the stuffed animals from the ice the Condors were able to score another one as Chris Collins was able to extend the lead 2-0 just 3:08 into the game. Then Nicholas Tremblay scored a powerplay marker as he skated around the Thunder penalty killers and fired a shot that beat Brian Foster.

Brayden Irwin would finally get the Thunder on the board with the team’s first goal and first shot. Landon Oslanski blasted a shot on the power play that was tipped in front past Bakersfield goaltender Tyler Bunz by Irwin.

Unfortunately the newfound Thunder momentum didn’t continue as just about two minutes later Collins was able to score his second goal of the game as he tapped one past Foster to restore the Condor’s three goal lead once again on the power play.

However the Thunder never quit and despite having Andrew Clark in the penalty box, the Thunder struck again as their first shorthanded goal of the season was scored once again by Irwin. Irwin found a seam in the defense and Corey Trivino fed a pass to his teammate. Irwin walked in all alone and went top shelf on Bunz.

Just under three minutes later, Ben Rosen corralled a puck at the point, took a shot that would be blocked back to the defenseman. Rosen then would up a wrist shot that was tipped by Joey Martin on the way in.

That would be all for Tyler Bunz as he would not return in the second period, being replaced by Chet Pickard. Bunz only had one save as he allowed 3 goals on 4 shots.

The Condors would add another goal in the second period as Wes Cunningham fired a shot that had eyes taking a deflection on its way past Foster off a faceoff draw to restore the Condors two goal advantage.

The Thunder continued to struggle to get shots on net as they only added 4 shots in the second period to put them at 8 shots in the first 40 minutes. They doubled their shot total in the third but to no avail as Pickard staved off the Thunder shooters and even got another goal for support thanks to Chase Schaber.

The score could have been much higher as the Condors fired 34 shots at Foster, including a number of high quality chances that Foster was able to stop.

“It was a strange first period,” said Head Coach Rich Kromm. “Unfortunately that fifth goal was a real momentum shifter. There’s not much else to say about tonight.”

The Thunder continues the five game road trip when they head to Idaho on Wednesday for a three game set against the Steelheads at 6:10 PST. The watch party begins at 5:10 at the University Plaza Waterfront Hotel. The Thunder will then play Idaho again on Friday and Saturday with both also set to begin at 6:10 p.m. PST.